My husband learned early on in our relationship that I had serious skills in the kitchen. I learned early on that he loved any pasta dish with chicken in it. This Valentine’s Day, our 31st together, I plan to make him this internet favorite and serve it with a simple green salad and a bottle of buttery chardonnay. Whether you call it by its popular name, Marry Me Chicken, or not, you’re sure to fall in love with this dish. Serve it over a bed of imported Italian linguine for soaking up all the delicious, creamy sauce.
Rachael Perron is the culinary and brand director for Kowalski’s Markets, where she specializes in product development and selection, culinary education and communications. Find more at kowalskis.com.
Marry Me Chicken
- Kowalski’s Italian imported organic linguine (from the Global Foods aisle), for serving
- 3–4 Cooks Venture boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 ½ lbs. total)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground Kowalski’s black peppercorns
- 6 Tbsp. flour
- 2 Tbsp. Kowalski’s extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. Kowalski’s unsalted butter
- 1 small shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- ¾ tsp. Kowalski’s organic roasted chicken broth base, whisked with ¾ cup hot water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 handfuls (approximately) baby spinach
- ½ cup freshly grated Kowalski’s signature Parmesan cheese(from the Specialty Cheese case)
- ⅓ cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, chopped
- fresh basil, torn, for garnish
Prepare pasta according to package directions; keep warm. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Meanwhile, season chicken evenly on both sides with salt and black pepper; dredge in flour, shaking off excess. In a large cast iron skillet (or another oven-safe skillet), heat oil and butter over medium-low heat; sauté chicken in oil until dark golden-brown, turning once (about 2 minutes per side). Move chicken to a warm platter; keep warm. Add shallot to the skillet; cook until tender (1–2 minutes), stirring constantly. Add garlic, thyme, oregano and red pepper flakes; cook and stir for 30 seconds. Add chicken broth, then cream. Stir in spinach, cheese and tomatoes; cook until sauce is bubbly and starting to thicken (about 5 minutes), stirring often. Return chicken to skillet; flip chicken to coat in sauce. Bake chicken in preheated oven until cooked through (15–18 minutes). Serve chicken over warm pasta, garnishing with basil.